You might have heard or read this somewhere :
Running is the easiest and inexpensive way to get fit.
The truth is – it is not.
- Running is not easy – it gets easier as you keep practicing – as it is true for any other skill.
- Running is expensive – a pair of good shoes(a prerequisite indeed) and accessories can cost you a lot.
Let me start with my case : I am more of a gym or sports person – rather than running – truth be told – i hated running (not that i love it now – but the relation has improved).
My lifestyle has changed dramatically – i am not in college anymore and its holds true for my friend circle too.The idea of indulging in sport has changed i.e rather than playing, i end up sitting in-front on the TV and enjoying the game.
Listed below are few observations during my first stint in running :
- I tried too much too early – i ran faster than i could handle, needless to say – i ran out of gas and my lungs were screaming torture.
- I did not pay attention to the pace – i ran – where i should have jogged.
- I made goals based on distance – and later realized that it should have been time.
So what am i doing to do better and make it easier? Read on
Disclaimer: These steps are intended for beginners.
- Accept : As a beginner one must accept the current fitness level. To take my case i am not good at running and i accepted my level as a beginner – and hence i decided to break it down so that i can manage it easily.
- Time limit : I decided on 20 minutes to start with – if i can do more than that -good enough – if not at-least run/walk/jog for 20 minutes.
- Walking : is fine and acceptable during sessions ,in fact it is the right thing to do when tired.Focus on jogging at pace you are comfortable with and start walking when tired – till you recover.
- Sharing : on Facebook and Twitter – it might sound like a bad idea – but trust me somehow it works. (Runkeeper maps are one of the reasons – it looks good).
- Frequency : reducing the frequency of runs helps.I now stick to 2 or max 3 runs a week.
- Motivation : for running is to reduce excess weight – since i did not enjoy running too much;i told myself once i am at the desired weight – i would go back to gym.
- Music : I advice all to be careful with use of music while running on busy streets – for me adding music to my run/jog/walk sessions has been wonderful and entertaining.
- Mix it up : i added 30 push ups and 30 squats followed by 2-5 minutes of rest after the run/jog session.
- Diet : Paying attention to what you eat during dinner.Try to eat light dinner(at least 3 days a week to start with).The lighter you are,easier it is on your knees and shins.
- Speak : to yourself and say – i don’t hate running – it’s no big deal – the session is just about 10-15 songs long and then it becomes easy.
Given below is how Runkeeper rewards your effort visually:
You can use these tips or tricks to make it running more fun and easy for yourself.
Keep trying – keep moving and remember :
Whether it’s a 14 minute mile or a 7 minute mile, it’s still a mile.
Please comment back if any of these tips helped you. Feel free to share your tips on running,diet,fitness in general.